These pages link to background reading that explains astronomy, the
Sloan Digital Sky Survey, and SkyServer.
- About Astronomy explains how people have studied
the sky since ancient times, describes many types of celestial objects, and
brings you to the cutting edge of modern astronomy research.
- About the SDSS explains the Sloan Digital Sky Survey,
one of the largest sky surveys of all time. The pages describe the SDSS's telescope,
instruments and data, and profile some of the SDSS's exciting first discoveries.
- About SkyServer is a technical report that
describes SkyServer's database structure, maintenance, and performance.
- The Links contain links to the institutions
that compose the SDSS, the funding agencies that have made SkyServer possible,
and some other high-quality astronomy education sites.
- The Credits tells you who helped in the making